[Humanist] 32.57 when do we stop

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 31 07:33:56 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 16:58:21 +0200
        From: Dino Buzzetti <dino.buzzetti at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  32.56 when do we stop

On 30 May 2018 at 07:46, Humanist Discussion Group <

>         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
>         Subject: being selective
>
> A member of this group wrote to me privately with the following
> objection to my note about going wide rather than deep:
>
> > to proliferate "witnesses" -- bits of evidence -- will only increase
> > uncertainty rather than (as hoped) decrease it, just because to do so
> > increases the number of occasions for interpretation

 ​Dear Willard, ​

What would be​ wrong with increasing "the number of occasions for
interpretation"?

“Once we have granted that any physical theory is essentially only a model
for the world of experience, we must renounce all hope of finding anything
like ‘the correct theory.’ There is nothing which prevents *any number
of quite distinct models* from being in correspondence with experience
(i.e., all ‘correct’).” Hugh Everett III, “The theory of the
universal wave function”, 1973, p. 134. ​[Available from the Internet
Archive, at
https://archive.org/details/TheTheoryOfTheUniversalWaveFunction -- WM.]

If this is true for the physical sciences I think it can be even more true
for the humanities. I would surmise that it is the interplay of diverse
*legitimate* interpretations that keeps them alive.

Yours,
-dino​

--
Dino Buzzetti                                          formerly
Department of Philosophy     University of Bologna

currently
Fondazione per le Scienze Religiose Giovanni XXIII

via san Vitale, 114                   I-40125 Bologna BO
e-mail:  dino.buzzetti (at) gmail.com
buzzetti (at) fscire.it
web: http://web.dfc.unibo.it/buzzetti/
http://www.fscire.it/index.php/it/ricercatori/dino-buzzetti-2/