[Humanist] 32.26 Humanist at 31 & the meaning of 'science'

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed May 16 09:18:16 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Manfred Thaller <manfred.thaller at uni-koeln.de>            (45)
        Subject: Re:  32.18 Humanist at 31 & questions

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (36)
        Subject: 'science' in more sense than one, or two

        Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 13:15:41 +0200
        From: Manfred Thaller <manfred.thaller at uni-koeln.de>

Dear Tim,

I hope Willard is not offended, if I take up a question you addressed to
him. I take the liberty to do so, as you raise a question, which is dear
to my heart (or rather: a constant worry) - and being not from an
English speaking country, it may be more obvious to me. I'm referring to:

Am 15.05.2018 um 08:12 schrieb Humanist Discussion Group:
> And, Willard, what is the "European sense" of
> 'scientifically'?  Do other parts of the world have other
> senses of this term?

Purely linguistically, you have two different concepts of [scientia] (to
signify the abstract concept, different from its different linguistic
realizations).

[scientia-1] can be seen as "science" as in English, where it is almost
always used as a term describing a set of activities intrinsically
different from the "Humanities", leave alone the "Arts". (While the
"Humanities" and the "Arts" are close buddies.)

[scientia-2] can be seen as "Wissenschaft" as in German, with a similar
phenomenon in other languages, where it is used as a term describing a
general attitude to apply a rational way to proceed, when you try to
answer a question. This means, that it is a very general concept, which
includes all, the "Naturwissenschaften" (ca. "Science", "hard
sciences"), the "Sozialwissenschaften" ("Social science", "soft
sciences") and indeed the "Geisteswissenschaften" (ca. "Humanities").
"Wissenschaft" is NOT particularly closely related to "Kunst" (the
arts). (So an American / British faculty department of philology will
frequently offer degrees or at least courses in "creative writing". As
far as I know, no such degree - or even course - exists at a German
speaking university.)

I should mention, that that has a few political implications. As a rule
of the dumb you can assume that funding in countries where [scientia-2]
is valid is considerably more generous to the local equivalent of the
Humanities, than in countries which subscribe to [scientia-1]. But this
is just a sidenote.

As I have given up to use the term "Digital Humanities" as void of
semantic content besides being vaguely fashionable, I cannot comment on
your question "are the Digital Humanities trying to be Sciences?".

However, the way in which you approach information technology is
EXTREMELY different, depending on whether you start from [scientia-1] or
[scientia-2].

As a hard case of [scientia-2] I find it not particularly astonishing,
that a humanist may consider using an approach that is connected to
"science". I am aware and have met quite a few hard cases of
[scientia-1] who consider that as rather scandalous, though.

Best,
Manfred