[Humanist] 32.16 Humanist at 31 & the state of the digital humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon May 14 10:45:06 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 07:51:25 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: advantage or difference?

In Humanist 32.13 Paolo Monella asks,

> I often wonder how long funding would keep pouring on our mill's
> wheel if projects should become increasingly arid in terms of DH
> methodological innovation. Which boils down -- for me -- to the
> fundamental question: what's the scientific advantage of doing X
> computationally, as opposed to doing it analogically on paper?

Let me suggest a different, I think better question: what's the
scientific DIFFERENCE of doing X computationally as opposed to doing it
on paper? Of course we're unlikely to do anything that is both hard work
and often expensive, esp if it a funding agency has to be persuaded of
its cogency, if we do not see and cannot articulate an advantage. But
scientifically (in the European sense) isn't it the difference that
opens minds?

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews
(www.tandfonline.com/loi/yisr20)