[Humanist] 32.11 Humanist at 31

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat May 12 09:23:13 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 18:13:20 +0200
        From: Manfred Thaller <manfred.thaller at uni-koeln.de>
        Subject: Re:  32.8 humanist at 31

Dear Willard,

well, first of all, after 31 years one might wonder, whether you should
not adopt the motto of the Prince of Wales. (This is not supposed in any
way to imply a loss of eyesight by anybody involved.) Thanks, in other
words.

> that the perceptible
> decline in the number of postings,

Hm. I, myself, have posted very rarely, so I am not in a position to
complain. But I watch quite a few of the competing channels, and I
notice a similar phenomenon on all of them.  I'm really considering to
cancel a few subscriptions to lists, as I seem to get the same
announcements on many of them - and there is at least one quite active
"blog", a much more modern medium, that is, which shares exactly the
problem of many announcements and few (almost no) opinions. Could it be,
that expressing an opinion has become fraught with dangers, at least
perceived ones?

No diagnosis - just: I may unsubscribe from quite a few of these other
resources, I  will not from Humanist.

Kind regards,
Manfred

--