[Humanist] 32.10 collision with automated translating? acronymising disciplines?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 11 08:53:20 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Henry Schaffer <hes at ncsu.edu>                             (22)
        Subject: STEM, STEAM, STEMM, STEAMM?

  [2]   From:    Henry Schaffer <hes at ncsu.edu>                              (6)
        Subject: Digital Colliding with the Humanities?

        Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 10:37:39 -0400
        From: Henry Schaffer <hes at ncsu.edu>

Evolving acronyms.

Many years ago, in the early days of the STEM acronym, two of my NC State
colleagues (Sarah Stein in Communications and Sam Averitt, an electrical
engineer and IT/communications expert) suggested adding a letter, "A" for
Arts (short for Arts & Humanities) -> STEAM.

Now there is an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education
"How Colleges Can Help STEM Students Think More Broadly"
https://www.chronicle.com/article/How-Colleges-Can-Help-STEM/243376
which deals with this increase in scope.

That article is "Premium" and I'm not sure how non-subscribers can get to
it.

That article refers to a report by the National Academies of Sciences,
Engineering and Medicine. It is about STEMM, with the additional "M" being
for "Medicine".
http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?
RecordID=24988&_ga=2.37129952.1902651955.1525701361-2134768044.1458052166

and the report itself is available for purchase or as a free PDF download.

The Chronicle article criticizes the STEMM approach for lack of emphasis on
the humanities - in my terminology, for not being STEAMM.

Is this another movement towards broadening the Digital Humanities?

--henry schaffer

P.S. Happy 31st birthday!