[Humanist] 32.8 humanist at 31

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 10 10:56:52 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 09:26:18 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: forgotten 31st birthday

Dear colleagues,

Perhaps no one noticed Humanist's 31st birthday slip by, three days ago.
I didn't. And that leads me to wonder whether my failure to remember,
indeed prepare for it by beginning a celebratory note ahead of time, has
any significance beyond the personal. (No medicalisation, please!) All
the usual excuses of a busy life stand ready to be deployed, but I'll
leave them alone. The fact that the competitors for your professional
attention are now themselves years old suggests that the perceptible
decline in the number of postings, a tempting measure of attention
drifting elsewhere, isn't due simply to them. I'll also leave untouched
speculations based on the state of national and international political
discourse, though I cannot help but wonder if my own frequent avoidance
of the news that is seldom new is an indicator of something much larger.

On the one hand, it is difficult to imagine a more exciting time
intellectually, and never a time when more has been available across the
disciplines. In a field which interpenetrates all others -- here we are
-- there's never a lack of things to discuss and reasons for discussing
them. On the other hand...

That's where your comments and observations are needed. If, that is,
your reception of Humanist has not been stopped by malfunctioning
software, still under investigation.

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews
(www.tandfonline.com/loi/yisr20)