[Humanist] 31.804 events: Around the World; Digital Archives & Digital Humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 4 08:34:40 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Chao-Lin Liu <liuchaolin at gmail.com>                      (102)
        Subject: The 9th International Conference on Digital Archives and
                Digital Humanities

  [2]   From:    Chelsea Miya <cmiya at ualberta.ca>                          (47)
        Subject: Watch the Livestream: 2018 Around the World e-Conference

        Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 00:18:11 +0800
        From: Chao-Lin Liu <liuchaolin at gmail.com>
        Subject: The 9th International Conference on Digital Archives and Digital Humanities

Dear all,

We are pleased to inform you that this year “9th International
Conference of Digital Archives and Digital Humanities (DADH 2018)” will be
held in Dharma Drum Institute of Liberal Arts (DILA), Jinshan District, New
Taipei City, Taiwan on December 18-21, 2018.

The following is Call for Papers of DADH 2018.

9th International Conference of Digital Archives and
Digital Humanities (DADH 2018)

Theme:  Facing the Era of AI+

DHVenue: Dharma

Date: December 18 - 21, 2018

The Digital Humanities is an emerging field of research, the term itself
having only been coined in 2004. Notwithstanding the fact that research in
this area is quite new, the digital humanities have been flourishing at an
unprecedented rate. In recent years, whether in Europe, America, Asia or
Taiwan, various research institutes and teams dedicated to research and
development in the digital humanities have been established. This
demonstrates the high level of interest in and importance attached to this
field by the community.

The core concept of the field of digital humanities is the application of
modern digital technologies to the disciplines of the traditional
humanities, in order to overcome the limitations of traditional research
methodologies. This combination of knowledge and technology, in an
interdisciplinary manner, is unachievable in any single area. The
development of the field of digital humanities is in fact indissociable from
the progress of new digital technologies. These new technologies not only
provide new methods of data analysis, but can also be used to create new
types of digital resources.

In recent years, major breakthroughs have been made in the field of
artificial intelligence. Various types of A.I. technologies have gradually
evolved from theoretical speculation into concrete reality with practical
applications, with remarkable results. However, to answer what the
intelligence is makes A.I. deeply related to humanities. For example,
Natural Language Processing technology in A.I. assembles an important
subdomain of linguistics — computational linguistics. Besides, A.I.
technologies which mimic the structure of human intelligence, such as the
Semantic Web, Ontology, the Knowledge Graph, Linked Open Data, are based on
the theory of ontology in philosophy.

What kind of applications and breakthroughs can these digital technologies
bring to the digital humanities? How should humanities scholars view the
results of an artificial intelligence based on digital resources? Compared
to traditional humanities studies which only consider a limited corpus of
text, artificial intelligence can process a large body of data, with the
exception of a limited number of research methods. In the last analysis, do
these new technologies provide more help for the study of the humanities, or
are their results unconvincing? All these topics are subjects this
conferences seeks to examine and discuss.

Given the growth of the field of the digital humanities, this conference
will continue over the years to research every facet of the digital
humanities, but will also include the topic of ‘Facing the Era of AI+DH’
as its theme. We invite scholars and experts, at home and abroad, to
participate in this session, and look forward to creating new milestones in
digital studies through dialog and exchange.

Topics of Interest

We invite submissions of abstracts relating (but not limited) to the
following aspects of artificial intelligence and digital humanities:

- Development of digital technologies and their applications to help advance
humanities studies (including digital media, data mining, software design,
and modeling, etc.).

- Applications of text mining, social network analysis, visualization and
graphics.

- Interdisciplinary research and humanities research in literature studies,
linguistics, culture, history, etc., conducted with digital data and
technology.

- Digital Humanities Theory and Epistemology

- Impact of digital humanities on humanities education.

- Innovative forms of digital arts such as music, film and theatre; and
digital applications such as digital design, virtual reality, games and new
media.

- Other DH-related topics.Submission Guidelines

Submission of a single paper abstract, poster abstract, or a panel proposal
is welcomed. All submissions are to be done online. (website:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dadh2018)

Submitted abstract for a single paper should contain 1,000-3,000 words.
Submitted abstract for a poster should contain 750-1,500 words. Submitted
panel proposal should contain at least 1,500 words. The panel proposal
should provide an overview and the abstracts of 3-4 papers.

The papers will be reviewed. Authors of accepted abstracts will be required
to submit the full papers by October 1st, 2018.

Publications

Conference Proceedings will be distributed during the conference. All
authors who attend the conference will be invited to submit revised papers
to the Journal of Digital Archives and Digital Humanities (Taiwanese
Association for Digital Humanities). Detailed information will be announced
later.

Important Dates
- 2018/07/15 Paper/Poster/Panel Submissions due
- 2018/08/31 Acceptance Notifications due
- 2018/10/01 Full Paper Submissions due
- 2018/10/30 Early Registrations due
- 2018/11/30 Registrations due

Conference Organizers: Taiwanese Association for Digital Humanities- Dharma Drum Institute of Liberal Arts
===

​Chao-Lin Liu​

--
Fulbright and TUSA Scholar @ Harvard University 2016-2017
Department of Computer Science, National Chengchi University, Taiwan