[Humanist] 32.124 Fish'ing for fatal flaws

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jul 5 08:50:40 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    lachance at chass.utoronto.ca                                (50)
        Subject: Forensics or taxidermies (Re:  32.120 Fish'ing for fatal
                flaws)

  [2]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (91)
        Subject: Re:  32.119 Fish'ing for fatal flaws

        Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 08:53:48 -0400 (EDT)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca
        Subject: Forensics or taxidermies (Re:  32.120 Fish'ing for fatal flaws)

Gabriel

I wonder if the "send a message" view can be massaged by a less
dichotomous means than an appeal to unconscious and conscious writing
subjects? I think that we can actually pluralize the subject positions
whether of producer or consumer. I am thinking of the work of Roman
Jakobson and the model of the six aspects of communication.

1) context
2) addresser (sender)
3) addressee (receiver)
4) contact
5) code
6) message

Giving us (1) referential, (2) emotive, (3) conative, (4) phatic, (5)
metalingual, and (6) poetic functions.

> The Digital Humanities provide indisputable evidence
> that the unconscious mind does produce objective patterns
> in the writing that are unavailable to the conscious
> mind and that, for that reason, cannot be explained
> as someone's attempt to "send a message", as the
> Intentionalists would have it. When one early modern
> dramatist imitates another he is able to alter the
> frequency with which he uses lexical words to match
> the style of the other writer, but is not able to
> do the same with the frequency of his function-word use.
> That is why imitation does not grievously undermine
> our best authorship attribution tests. It is not
> plausible that one writer uses, say, 'and' and 'the'
> at a markedly greater or lesser rate than another by
> conscious intention, not least because writers fail
> to modulate these rates when performing imitations.

The evidence may actually point to multiple subjectivities at work in the
bodies in interaction. Even if we acknowledge that will and performance do
not coincide, we have a temporal question: writer at T1 and writer at T2
and the thorny question of interpretation: are we dealing with the same
writer at two different times or two different states of the
writer(function)? Please forgive the abstractness. I am concerned with the
somewhat unconscious narrative at play in some author attribution studies
and ask just why would DH take up the sleuthing model (evidence points to
guilt) as its default mode? The evidence points to a difference. One can
with say with greater assurance that an author is different from other
others. Can one say with the same assurance that a given textual instance
is proved to be the work of an author(s)? I guess what I am harkening
towards here is the difference between the forensic and the taxidermical.
And betraying a previously unconscious preference. Which I have kindly
discovered thanks to your signalling that there is more to sending a
message than "sending a message".

--
Francois Lachance
Scholar-at-large