[Humanist] 30.638 3D data preservation?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jan 11 09:57:38 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 22:19:20 +0000
        From: "Scates Kettler, Hannah R" <hannah-s-kettler at uiowa.edu>
        Subject: Your input on 3D data preservation

Good afternoon,

Some colleagues and I are working toward gathering experts in 3D research data and data preservation together to explore standards in preservation, documentation and dissemination of the materials. In order to understand backgrounds and our collective experience with 3D data, we would like you to complete this brief survey to gauge your experience working with 3D research data and your interest in collaboratively creating standards or best practices. You will find the survey here <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOzqFT4tETHdMUMGZJudD2gxEgoXT39QWE1enoUj5-R7XWAA/viewform>. If you can, please complete this survey by Thursday, January 19th.

To put this in context, 3D digitization and born digital 3D data is rapidly growing area of interest and need for researchers, who use it not only as a means of preserving physical objects or sites, but also as an innovative way to interrogate physical data. Although there is fervor for 3D application, there is little guidance for the ways and means of preserving those digital objects in perpetuity. Your participation in the survey will help us understand where we are and how we might move forward in this regard.

We appreciate your participation in this survey and hope it will lead to further dialogue.

Thank you in advance,

Jennifer Moore, GIS & Data Project Manager & Anthropology Librarian, Washington University in St. Louis
Hannah Scates Kettler, Digital Humanities Research & Instruction Librarian, University of Iowa
Adam Rountrey, Research Museum Collection Manager, University of Michigan Museum of Paleontology

Hannah Scates Kettler
Digital Humanities Research & Instruction Librarian
Digital Scholarship & Publishing Studio| University of Iowa Libraries
1015 Main Library Iowa City, Iowa 52242
hannah-s-kettler at uiowa.edu
319.384.3432