[Humanist] 30.776 hands on

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Feb 25 06:52:53 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 14:49:51 -0500
        From: Andrew Brook <andrewbrook at cunet.carleton.ca>
        Subject: Hands on

want to say that the advent of word processors in the early 1980s was
the most liberating thing that has ever happened to my writing. Being
able to revise and print a new draft in a minute freed me from having to
rewrite by hand and pester always obliging but exploited secretaries to
retype the result. My productivity soared. For me, writing by hand is
about the most confining way of writing there is, even more so than (my
much-beloved) mechanical typewriter (which I still have) (full
disclosure: my hand-writing is pretty clunky).

Andrew

--
Andrew Brook
Chancellor's Professor of Philosophy and Cognitive Science Emeritus