[Humanist] 30.761 persuasive projects

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Feb 21 07:20:20 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 09:05:57 +0000
        From: Brian Aitken <Brian.Aitken at glasgow.ac.uk>
        Subject: RE:  30.754 persuasive projects?

I'd like to suggest the Historical Thesaurus of English (http://historicalthesaurus.arts.gla.ac.uk/), which began in 1965, became a digital project in the 1970s, launched in 2010 and is still an active research project today.  It contains almost 800,000 words from Old English to the present day, arranged into more than 220,000 semantic categories.  You can use the search facilities to pinpoint the range of meanings of a word throughout its history, their synonyms, and their relationship to words of more general or more specific meaning.  In addition to providing hitherto unavailable information for linguists, historians of language, authors, students of English, and textual scholars, it also offers a rich and unparalleled resource for investigating social and cultural history, showing the development of concepts through the words that refer to them.

You can some interesting facts and figures about the Thesaurus (such as what are the largest categories and the most commonly occurring word forms across the history of English) here: http://historicalthesaurus.arts.gla.ac.uk/stats-and-figures/

Best wishes
Brian
-----
Brian Aitken MA(Hons) MSc