[Humanist] 30.754 persuasive projects?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Feb 17 07:12:20 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:10:25 +0100
        From: Sinai Rusinek <sinai.rusinek at mail.huji.ac.il>
        Subject: Searching for DH knockouts

Dear colleagues,

Suppose that you were stuck in an elevator with a humanities colleague of
the DH-resistent type, and a senior decision maker in the funding body of
academy in your country, and you were asked to give three examples for a DH
research, and/or a project that was groundbreaking (asks the decision
maker), preferably recent, not shallow (grunts the humanist colleague),
understandable (by both) that actually involved humanists and preferably
mainly humanist work,  which were your choices?

This is such an annoying question to ask and be asked. I would probably
answer that no research or project that is deep and truly groundbreaking,
whether in DH or outside it, could be summed and explained in an elevator
talk, but I am sure like me you keep being asked these questions and are in
need of such examples.

My favorite choices became slightly outdated, and are still a bit too
complicated to explain so I would really appreciate your ideas, and if this
has been discussed and answered, here or elsewhere, in the last 3-4 years,
I apologize and would be grateful if you could point me there.

BTW, many thanks for being out there, Willard and all,

Sinai

Sinai Rusinek
JPRESS  http://web.nli.org.il/sites/JPress/English/Pages/default.aspx
Digital Humanities Israel  http://www.thedigin.org/en/#