[Humanist] 30.738 lecturer, Institute of English Studies (London)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 12 08:15:35 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 12:22:42 +0000
        From: "Tanner, Simon" <simon.tanner at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Institute of English Studies, University of London -

> From: Simon Eliot [mailto:Simon.Eliot at sas.ac.uk]
> Sent: Friday, February 10, 2017 6:11 PM
> Subject: FW: Institute of English Studies, University of London - Lecturer in Digital Approaches to Literature

The Institute of English Studies (IES), in the School of Advanced Study (SAS) at the University of London, wishes to appoint a Lecturer in the field of Digital Approaches to Literature. The successful person will have expertise in the technical skills essential to digital research, digital scholarly editing, expertise in any area of literary studies and a broad outlook across the whole field.  The IES wishes to expand its provision in digitally-based scholarship which currently focuses on textual editing. We are looking for someone with new ideas to enlarge our provision and facilitate the work of others.  Areas of interest to us include the following, and candidates will be expected to have demonstrable expertise in one or more of these (which are listed in no order of preference) as well as being informed about digitally-based textual editing.

·         stylometry
·         authorship attribution
·         ‘distant reading’ techniques
·         ‘big data’ approaches to literary/cultural history
·         digital publishing
·         digital preservation
·         machine learning
·         network analysis
·         topic modelling
·         visualisation

S/he should have publications (or equivalent, for example software development) appropriate to career stage and an active research project in the digital field in English.

Two further considerations are important. First, SAS has a national mission to facilitate research in the UK. The person appointed will enable the IES to offer research facilitation and support in digital approaches to literature both inside and outside the Institute by, for example, developing partnerships, collaborative projects, workshops, training events or similar. Candidates should have enthusiasm for this ambassadorial and outreach role. A budget will be available to develop these activities, but developing grant applications from external funders for individual or collaborative research will also be a priority.  Second, the School has an overall commitment to digitally-based research, and IES is one of nine SAS Institutes. The School’s digital strategy is guided by Jane Winters, SAS Professor of Digital Humanities. The person appointed will work with Professor Winters, and with digital researchers in other SAS Institutes, to enhance the School’s overall digital provision. S/he should therefore be interested in cross-disciplinary approaches and be quick to see the potential of techniques developed elsewhere for research in English.

Further Information

https://www.jobs.london.ac.uk/displayjob.aspx?jobid=714