[Humanist] 30.925 pubs: knowledge & critique; sciences and humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 26 07:24:25 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    David Berry <D.M.Berry at sussex.ac.uk>                       (9)
        Subject: Book: Digital Humanities: Knowledge and Critique in a
                Digital Age

  [2]   From:    "Bod, Rens" <L.W.M.Bod at uva.nl>                            (47)
        Subject: RE:  30.917 histories of the sciences and the humanities

        Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:10:44 +0000
        From: David Berry <D.M.Berry at sussex.ac.uk>
        Subject: Book: Digital Humanities: Knowledge and Critique in a Digital Age

I hope you find of interest my new co-written book (with Anders Fagerjord) - out on 5 May 2017:

Digital Humanities: Knowledge and Critique in a Digital Age
David M. Berry and Anders Fagerjord

As the twenty-first century unfolds, computers challenge the way in which we think about culture, society and what it is to be human: areas traditionally explored by the humanities.

In a world of automation, Big Data, algorithms, Google searches, digital archives, real-time streams and social networks, our use of culture has been changing dramatically. The digital humanities give us powerful theories, methods and tools for exploring new ways of being in a digital age. Berry and Fagerjord provide a compelling guide, exploring the history, intellectual work, key arguments and ideas of this emerging discipline. They also offer an important critique, suggesting ways in which the humanities can be enriched through computing, but also how cultural critique can transform the digital humanities.

Digital Humanities will be an essential book for students and researchers in this new field but also related areas, such as media and communications, digital media, sociology, informatics, and the humanities more widely.

http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9780745697659

Best
David