[Humanist] 30.916 vulnerability to surveillance & exploitation?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Apr 25 07:15:42 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 08:50:59 +0100
        From: "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 30.915 events: social media

Re- Social Media, is anywhere safe?  You have an executive order in the US
allowing ISPs (and presumably all SM organizations) to 'monetize' personal
data.  How does that affect UK citizens?  Does the UK DP Act prevent their
personal data being exported for a use not intended in its collection?  Or
will your rights be overturned by a new EULA or T&Cs?  In this country, we
are prospectively being monitored by ISPs under the IP Act which has taken
effect.  That's one reason why I occasionally use TOR from within my
installed Linux OS (get it from the torproject download) or with TAILS
from a usb stick: to frustrate the bastards.  Potentially, your HE
institution is acting as an ISP and collecting and storing your personal
data for a year to surrender to the UK government.  What about gross
global tax avoidance by, allegedly, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple
etc?  You are being compelled at your HE institution to be unethical and
use those abusive companies.  Have you protested or do you go with the
flow?
Dave Postles

--
http://www.historicalresources.myzen.co.uk (research and pedagogy)
I use Lilo web search: no tracking and social good (Firefox add-on)