[Humanist] 30.915 events: social media

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Apr 24 07:12:12 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 20:25:24 -0400
        From: "Anatoliy" <agruzd at gmail.com>
        Subject: Invitation to attend: 2017 International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety)

We would like to invite you to attend the 2017 International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety) happening on July 28-30 in Toronto, Canada. This year’s theme is on “Social Media for Social Good or Evil”.

The May 1, 2017 early-bird deadline is fast approaching. Register today at: https://socialmediaandsociety.org/registration/

The 2017 #SMSociety Conference offers an intensive 3-day program that includes numerous methods workshops (https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2017-workshops/), over 100 full & work-in-progress papers, panels, and over 40 posters featuring the latest in social media research. Our interdisciplinary research community brings researchers from a wide variety of disciplines including Communication, Information Science, Computer Science, Education, Journalism, Management, Political Science, Sociology, Health, and other fields.

This year, we are honoured to have two highly distinguished scholars and leaders as our keynotes speakers:

*	Lee Rainie – Director, Pew Research Center’s Internet   http://www.pewinternet.org/  & American Life Project, USA
*	Ronald Deibert – Professor of Political Science, and Director of the Citizen Lab  http://www.citizenlab.org/   at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, Canada.

And two featured panels:

*	“ <https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2017/smsociety-conference-toronto-jul-28-30-2017-features-panel-women-social-media-safe-unsafe-spaces/> Women in Social Media: Safe and Unsafe Spaces” organized by Caroline Haythornthwaite (Syracuse University), Stephanie Teasley (University of Michigan), Jennifer Stromer-Galley (Syracuse University), Ingrid Erickson (Syracuse University), Libby Hemphill (Illinois Institute of Technology), and Alyssa Friend Wise (New York University);
*	Industry panel on “ <https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2017/social-media-twitter-analytics-brands-featured-panel-smsociety-conference-toronto-jul-28-30-2017/> Social Media and Twitter Analytics for Brands” organized by Twitter Canada.

We hope you can join us for this exciting event and contribute to this emerging research area!

If you have any questions about the conference, please email us at: ask at socialmediaandsociety.org

--

2017 #SMSociety Organizing Committee:

• Anatoliy Gruzd, Ryerson University, Canada – Conference Chair
• Jenna Jacobson, University of Toronto, Canada – Conference Chair
• Philip Mai, Ryerson University, Canada – Conference Chair
• Bernie Hogan, Oxford Internet Institute, UK – WIP Chair
• Jeff Hemsley, Syracuse University, USA – WIP Chair
• Hazel Kwon, Arizona State University, USA – Poster Chair

Advisory Board:

• William H. Dutton, Michigan State University, USA
• Zizi Papacharissi, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
• Barry Wellman, INSNA Founder, The Netlab Network, Canada

Programme Committee:

• Visit: https://socialmediaandsociety.org/about/