[Humanist] 30.872 on corpus tools; anti-Facebook, Google &c

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 7 09:01:42 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>                     (21)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 30.865 covert commercial content moderation

  [2]   From:    "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>                     (89)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 30.871 events: corpus-based research

        Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:01:39 +0100
        From: "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>

Forgive me, but I feel a rant coming on.  FB [Facebook]? Well who would have
thought? The gross global tax avoider is not amongst the illuminati?  What I
fail to understand is why HE [higher education] (HE above all) has
entertained the use of FB just like it has tied itself slavishly to
Microsoft (another alleged global tax avoider with a seemingly flaky
product).  Then we have the seemingly irresponsible adherence to Google as a
search engine.  Hey HE, when did you lose your moral compass?  When did you
lose your sense of innovation and leadership? Have you never considered the
possibility of even deeper education about these issues? Or will you
constantly take the easy path?

Now, how do HEIs consider themselves - as ISPs? Will they surrender your
data to the UK government if requested under the IP Act?  What about in the
USA?  Will they consider themselves as ISPs under the terms of Trump's exec
order and 'monetize' your personal data?

--
http://www.historicalresources.myzen.co.uk (research and pedagogy)
I use Lilo web search: no tracking and social good (Firefox add-on)