[Humanist] 28.883 events: play & performance; Renaissance studies

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 11 09:54:53 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "James A. Hodges" <james.hodges at rutgers.edu>              (38)
        Subject: Extending Play: The Sequel @ Rutgers

  [2]   From:    Ray Siemens <siemens at uvic.ca>                             (17)
        Subject: New Technologies and Renaissance Studies (RSA 2016, 31 March
                - 2 April, Boston MA)

        Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:46:40 -0400
        From: "James A. Hodges" <james.hodges at rutgers.edu>

*Extending Play: The Sequel* will take place on April 17th and 18th in
Rutgers' Livingston Student Center.

Highlights include two exciting keynote conversations: Miguel Sicart
http://miguelsicart.net/  (IT University Copenhagen) and Anna Anthropy
http://auntiepixelante.com/  (Independent Game Developer) will discuss
"Liberating Play," while Marcus Boon  http://marcusboon.com/  (York
University) and Adrienne Shaw  http://adrienneshaw.com/  (Temple University)
will speak on "The Replication of Ideology."

We also have an exciting plenary session entitled "Playing With Gender,"
which promises to be an unforgettable discussion between the designers and
artists Gillian Smith
http://www.northeastern.edu/camd/artdesign/people/gillian-smith/
(Northeastern University), Myfanwy Ashmore  http://www.myfanwy.ca/
(Independent Artist), and Heidi Boisvert  http://www.heidiboisvert.com/
(Independent Designer), around the important and timely conjunction of play
and gender.

Finally, Friday Night's gala/reception will include performance, game and
film art, along with a smooth jazz re-mediation of pop hits from the 70s and
80s.

For more details on times and schedules, please give our program a look at
mediacon.rutgers.edu/program-2/.

Please visit our registration page (http://mediacon.rutgers.edu/register-2/)
if you plan to attend. Also, please find our flier attached and distribute
widely to your friends, colleagues, and students.

It is with your participation that we hope to make *Extending Play* the
international success it was in 2013! We can't wait to see you!

Co-sponsored by The Department of Student Life, The Graduate Student
Association, The School of Communication and Information, The Department of
Journalism and Media Studies, The Office of Institutional Diversity and
Inclusion, The Women and The Arts Collaborative, The Department of Library
and Information Science, The SC&I Social Media and Society Cluster, and The
Center for Cultural Analysis, *Extending Play* enters its second year, and
we hope to make this one better than the last!

james.hodges at rutgers.edu
@jameshodges_ <https://twitter.com/jameshodges_>
908.461.8246