[Humanist] 28.863 pubs: Scholarly Editing 2015 & cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 1 07:25:31 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:14:21 -0500
        From: Amanda Gailey <amanda.gailey at gmail.com>
        Subject: Scholarly Editing 2015 Published; CFP for 2016

We are pleased to announce the publication of the newest issue of Scholarly
Editing: The Annual of the Association for Documentary Editing (vol. 36,
2015), online at www.scholarlyediting.org.

Scholarly Editing publishes peer-reviewed editions of primary source
materials of cultural significance while continuing the tradition of
publishing articles and reviews about scholarly editing. This year, we have
introduced a new feature, "Reflections on the Editor's Craft," where we will
publish the views of experienced editors on practical aspects of editing. As
always, the editions represent diverse materials from a variety of fields,
and this year we present editions of a nineteenth-century American
manuscript drama; an antislavery poem's circulation and recreation through
nineteenth-century American newspaper reprintings; a sixteenth-century
Italian play; and a twentieth century experimental autobiography presented
in a provocatively nonlinear, interactive edition. We are pleased not only
to present editors with a rigorously peer-reviewed publication platform, but
also to share fascinating documents from cultural history with the reading
public. All of this material is available freely online and is completely
open-access. Please see below for our call for editions and articles for
next year's issue, as well as the full table of contents for the 2015
issue.

Amanda Gailey (gailey at unl.edu) and Andrew Jewell (ajewell2 at unl.edu) Editors,
Scholarly Editing: The Annual of the Association for Documentary Editing

INVITING EDITION PROPOSALS AND ARTICLES FOR THE 2016 ISSUE OF SCHOLARLY
EDITING

Scholarly Editing invites proposals for the 2016 issue. Many scholars know
fascinating texts that deserve to be edited thoughtfully and imaginatively,
and we offer a venue to turn this knowledge into sustainable, peer-reviewed
publications that will enrich the digital record of our cultural heritage.
If you are interested in editing a small-scale digital edition, we want to
hear from you. Proposals for the 2016 issue are due by May 15, 2015. Please
see details for submitting a proposal at
www.scholarlyediting.org/se.about.html.

We also welcome submissions of articles discussing any aspect of the theory
or practice of editing, print or digital. Articles must be submitted
bySeptember 14, 2015, to be considered for the 2016 issue. Please see
details at www.scholarlyediting.org/se.about.html.

CONTENTS for VOLUME 36, 2015

Introduction to Volume 36 of Scholarly Editing: The Annual of the
Association for Documentary Editing
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/essays/essay.v36intro.html  by Amanda
Gailey (University of Nebraska–Lincoln) and Andrew Jewell (University of
Nebraska–Lincoln)

Editions

 - Encoding and Representing Repetition in Lyn Hejinian's My Life
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/editions/intro.hejinian.html  edited by
Daniel Carter (University of Texas at Austin)

- “a black diamond among thim American wifes”: Kate Edwards Swayze’s
Antislavery Adaptation of George Colman’s Inkle and Yarico
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/editions/intro.swayzedrama.html  edited
by Laura L. Mielke and Martha Baldwin (University of Kansas)

- Lo Stufaiuolo by Anton Francesco Doni: A Scholarly Edition
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/editions/intro.stufaiuolo.html  edited
by Elena Pierazzo (Université de Grenoble 3 'Stendhal')

- Satire in Circulation: James Russell Lowell's "LETTER FROM A VOLUNTEER IN
SALTILLO"
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/editions/intro.lowelledition.html
edited by Todd Thompson (Indiana University of Pennsylvania) and Jessica
Showalter (Penn State Libraries)

Essays

- "Letters as Critical Texts: A Consideration of Mark Twain’s
'Ashcroft-Lyon Manuscript'”
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/essays/essay.gagel.html  by Amanda
Gagel (Mark Twain Papers, University of California, Berkeley)

- "The Second Story" (Presidential Address, Association for Documentary
Editing Annual Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky, 2014)
<http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/essays/essay.2015presidentialaddress.html>
by James P. McClure (Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Princeton University)

- Reflections on the Editor’s Craft:  "Editing Death: An Element of Craft
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/essays/essay.gordon.html "  by Ann D.
Gordon

Reviews

- The History and Present State of Virginia. By Robert Beverley. Edited by
Susan Scott Parrish. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press for the
Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, Williamsburg, VA,
2013 http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/reviews/review.beverly.html  and
The Dividing Line Histories of William Byrd II of Westover. Edited by
Kevin Joel Berland. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press for the
Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, Williamsburg, VA,
2013. http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/reviews/review.beverly.html  by
Brent Tarter

- The Eleanor Roosevelt Papers, Vol. 2: The Human Rights Years,
1949–1952. Edited by Allida Black. Charlottesville: University of
Virginia Press, 2012.
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/reviews/review.roosevelt.html  by
Christopher Leahy (Keuka College) and Sharon Williams Leahy
(HistoryPreserve.com  http://historypreserve.com/ )

- Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1: The Complete and Authoritative
Edition. Edited by Harriet Elinor Smith et al. Berkeley: University of
California Press, 2010
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/reviews/review.twain.html and
Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 2: The Complete and Authoritative
Edition. Edited by Benjamin Griffin, Harriet Elinor Smith et al. Berkeley:
University of California Press, 2013.
http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/reviews/review.twain.html  by R. Kent
Rasmussen

- Recent Editions
<http://www.scholarlyediting.org/2015/reviews/review.recenteditions2015.html>
by Ellen C. Hickman (Papers of Thomas Jefferson: Retirement Series)

--
Amanda Gailey
Assistant Professor, Department of English