[Humanist] 27.898 milestone

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 07:53:00 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 01:36:11 +0000
        From: Susan Ford <susan.ford at anu.edu.au>
        Subject: RE:  27.893 milestone

Ah - Yes - and 'self-consciousness' does not make historiography, and, as Jan notes, does not even make a milestone: it is a consequence of living in a post-modern world.

'the personal reflections of members of a user community can provide valuable insights
into the technology’s history.'  Hmmm - 'personal reflections' of anybody are good primary
data (I'd love to have more personal reflections of Hekataios for example, rather than only
being able to see him through Herodotos); and primary data, if there is enough of it, may enable
insights, but I'm a bit skeptical.  One thing is certain, a history of any 'technology' cannot be written
by someone inside the 'discipline', someone who 'did' it: one has only to look at most issues of
Annals of the History of Computing, which are very valuable collections of source material, and no more.

Susan
PhD candidate, Classics, College of Arts and Social Sciences
The Australian National University