[Humanist] 27.876 pubs: on palaeographical method; Illinois newspapers

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 13 07:55:20 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (52)
        Subject: palaeographical method

  [2]   From:    "Parker, Erica Mallory" <eparker2 at illinois.edu>           (13)
        Subject: Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections

        Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:07:10 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Peter A. Stokes, English Vernacular Minuscule from AEthelred to Cnut c.
990 -- c. 1035 (Brewer, 2014).

This is not a book on digital humanities, but many here, I expect, will
want to take a look for its reflections on method. I quote here from the
first paragraph of the Introduction:

> The early twenty-first century has seen some substantial new
> developments in the field of palaeography. These have come about
> largely through the convergence of two different but related changes:
> on the one hand, widespread access to digital images of manuscripts
> and computers powerful enough to process them, and on the other hand
> revived interest in the long-standing discussion of 'scientific'
> method versus connoisseurship in palaeographical study. To summarise
> this briefly, it has long been debated whether palaeography can (or
> should) be scientific, namely based as much as possible on concrete
> evidence and quantitative criteria, or if instead it should (or can
> only) be based on the judgement of experts. One response to this
> pressure for more 'objective' or 'scientific' methods has been to
> turn to digital methods, particularly the automated processing of
> digital images to identify scribal hands, but at the time of writing
> this approach is yet to bear convincing fruit, and identifying
> scribes is a very different problem from writing a history of script.
> Although image processing may not yet be helpful in writing the
> history of a script, it does not necessarily follow that digital
> approaches should be dismissed, and although they are not explicitly
> part of this book, it will become clear to the reader that the book
> could not have been written without them. Specifically, this study
> has taken some aspects of what is now referred to as a 'big data' or
> 'distant reading' approach. Associated most closely with Franco
> Moretti, distant reading was initially applied to literature in
> deliberate contrast to the 'close reading' of I. A. Richards and the
> New Critics. To summarise somewhat crudely, Moretti's principle is
> to analyse large quantities of text using statistics, graphs and
> other visualisations in order to identify large-scale trends rather
> than the small minutiae of '‘close reading'; inaccuracies in
> individual pieces of data should, in principle, have little impact on
> the overall result if the sample size is sufficiently large. Literary
> criticism is some distance from palaeography, and a pure 'distant
> reading' approach for the latter is not appropriate, not least
> because the quantity of surviving material for the early medieval
> period is not large enough, and because it is not yet clear how
> palaeographical data should best be quantified. Nevertheless some of
> the principles of distant reading can usefully be transferred to
> palaeography.
[...]

Dr Stokes is Senior Lecturer, Department of Digital Humanities, King's
College London.