[Humanist] 27.872 plagiarism detection software

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 13 07:45:52 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (13)
        Subject: Plagiarism Software

  [2]   From:    Andrew Brook <Andrew.Brook at carleton.ca>                   (12)
        Subject: Re:  27.869 plagiarism detection software

  [3]   From:    "Noiret, Serge" <Serge.Noiret at EUI.eu>                      (3)
        Subject: RE: plagiarism detection software: using Turnitin ?

        Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 08:51:13 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

I note the caveat about Turnitin and intellectual property, but (to avoid alarm in the UK) it is probably worth pointing out that UK universities take the view that under UK law IP remains with the student when Turnitin is used. See for example the following policy from the University of Cambridge:

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/plagiarism/examiners/policy.pdf

Andrew

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department