[Humanist] 27.870 Emilio Del Giudice (1940-2014)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 07:31:49 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:28:01 +0100
        From: Domenico Fiormonte <domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com>
        Subject: In memory of Emilio Del Giudice

On 31st January 2014, Emilio Del Giudice, a great physicist, friend and
supporter, as well as an influential member of the international *New
Humanities* research group passed away. In such cases one always speaks of
"emptiness" but such a word cannot be uttered without recalling the quantum
vacuum which Emilio told us about for the first time three years ago. I can
now imagine him riding that quantum wave in that material dimension that he
explored with scientific rigor as well as with merry images and
light-hearted poetry ("science is nothing but a metaphor," he loved to say).

This loss touches us on a profound level because without Emilio *New
Humanities* would probably not have been born. We have to thank another
physicist (but also a humanist), Paolo De Santis, for letting us discover
his character and fascinating research on the memory of water, biological
matter and electromagnetic fields, the notion of self and the  concept of
quantum resonance, etc. All these investigations deeply involved our
perception of what means today to be human. "The three bullets
secret" http://www.edizioniambiente.it/libri/448/il-segreto-delle-tre-pallottole/ ,
a novel on the military secrets of tactic nuclear weapons, was the book
that made him known to the general public in Italy, and also one of the few
volumes that bears his signature because he was too versatile and generous
to devote himself to monographs. Emilio opened us up to a world and renewed
our hopes for a new knowledge. Thanks to him that "new cultural code" that
we all desperately were trying to build and protect from the ethical and
cultural wreck of our institutions seemed miraculously at hand.

Not only was "Quantum Physics' contribution to the idea of consciousness"
based on his openness, availability and depth of vision, but in 2011, along
with Marcello Buiatti, he was the protagonist of that amazing dialogue "Towards
new humanities  http://infolet.it/2011/05/18/verso-le-nuove-scienze-umane/ "
that shook us from deadly government educational reform, prompting us to
create something new while all drowned in the hermeneutics of the reform
bill. If, even to a small extent, we were really able to do something new
and didn't succumb, this was thanks to Emilio, a scientist who "recognized
" us as equal partners so that we, humanists sometimes too shy with our
ideas, cheered and found courage. Today, someone much more important than
us mirrored our
work, http://shass.mit.edu/news/news-2013-21st-century-humanities-at-mit others
theorize things
alike  http://www.ispf-lab.cnr.it/article/2013_202_Abstract , while we put
them into practice.

Our task, therefore, is not to lose heart and continue on that road. But we
know that without Emilio the path seems all-uphill.

Domenico Fiormonte