[Humanist] 27.860 crowdsourcing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 10 07:25:17 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>           (65)
        Subject: Re:  27.857 crowdsourcing

  [2]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (10)
        Subject: Re:  27.853 crowdsourcing?

        Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 13:55:17 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>

Ben Brumfield's work is indeed worth highlighting and very much in the
spirit of the groundbreaking essay "New Tools for Men of Letters"
published the historian Robert C. Binkley in the Yale Review (1935)
http://www.wallandbinkley.com/rcb/works/new-tools-for-men-of-letters.
It's not just "men" of letters anymoreŠ Katherine Rowe drew my attention
to Binkley's work some time ago.

May I also draw attention to AnnoLex, a collaborative curation tool
developed by Craig Berry. Together with a handful of students I have used
it in "Shakespeare His Contemporaries," a project dedicated to a rough
clean-up of approximately 500 Early Modern English plays written between
1576 and 1642 and transcribed in the Text Creation Partnership . We fixed
about 36,000 of 48,000 manifest errors, i.e. incompletely or incorrectly
transcribed words. You can read about it at
http://annolex.at.northwestern.edu and at
http://cscdc.northwestern.edu/blog/?p=867

A fuller report and release of the curated texts will follow within a few
months. There is a lot of useful and in odd ways absorbing work that can
be done by amateurs of all ages to maintain a textual heritage that we
seek to "cherish ad preserve," a charming phrase that Penelope Kaiserlian
used a few years ago at the Virginia Conference about the future of
digital scholarship (http://shapeofthings.org/papers/)

Martin Mueller
Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University

On 3/9/14 4:57 AM, "Humanist Discussion Group"