[Humanist] 27.857 crowdsourcing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 9 09:57:05 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>     (23)
        Subject: 27.856 crowdsourcing

  [2]   From:    Helle Porsdam <porsdam at hum.ku.dk>                          (5)

        Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 09:23:04 +0100
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>

It appears to me that Ben Brumfield's work should be mentioned here as
well. His posts and talks have much to offer on the practice of crowd
sourcing, and especially the ramifications for scholarly work and indeed
the challenge it puts to the foundations of institutional responsibilities.
I vividly remember his talk at SDSE 2013 succinctly summarizing the problem
for scholars and institutions as (I'm paraphrasing): these amateur
professionals are creating their crowd sourced resources anyway, without
the help of you the scholarly professionals, you may want to consider
talking to them...

http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.nl

Hope this is of any use!
Cheers
--Joris

--
Drs. Joris J. van Zundert

*Researcher & Developer Digital and Computational Humanities*
Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands

*Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences*
www.huygens.knaw.nl/en/vanzundert/

-------

*Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.Mr. Gibbs:
We figured they were more actual guidelines.*