[Humanist] 27.840 selfies

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 4 08:12:55 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Letters 1916 Project <letters1916 at gmail.com>              (23)
        Subject: RE:  27.827 selfies

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (12)
        Subject: selfies

        Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:06:23 +0000
        From: Letters 1916 Project <letters1916 at gmail.com>

To add to the discussion about selfies,  I am currently working on the Letters
of 1916 project  http://dh.tcd.ie/letters1916/ .  We are creating a
crowd-sourced digital collection of letters written around the time of the
Easter Rising in Ireland (1 November 1915 - 31 October 1916).

In doing research for the project I came across possibly one of the
earliest selfies -- from  c 1865. It is a photograph in the National
Library of Ireland (http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000183913) of Lady
and Lord Clonbrock (Augusta Caroline Dillon née Crofton, and Luke Gerald
Dillon, 4th Baron Clonbrock) who were skilled photographers. In this
experimental photograph they used a camera on a tripod to capture an image
of themselves reflected in a grand mirror.

We have many letters from/to Lady Clonbrock in the Letters of 1916
collection. She was  active in organising voluntary work on behalf of local
men serving with the British Army during the First World War, and many of
her correspondents are Irish soldiers in German Prisoner of War Camps
thanking her for parcels or requesting clothing (particularly in the winter
months) and cigarettes.

We have lots of fabulous letters from 1916 -- many still awaiting
transcription!

Emma Clarke
on behalf of the Letters 1916 Project Team
http://dh.tcd.ie/letters1916