[Humanist] 27.837 pubs: wikibook: Nova pisarija (New literacy)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 09:48:45 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 23:05:39 +0100
        From: Miran gmail <miranhladnik1 at gmail.com>
        Subject: Wikibook

Dear colleagues,

I am expressing thanks to the Humanist discussion group I have been member
of since 1994. The communication here stimulated the writing of the Wikibook
*Nova pisarija* [New literacy, or, translated more precisely with an
archaism, New scripture] (http://sl.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nova_pisarija) a lot.
The book is intended to the Slovene students of literature and other
humanities subjects and talks about the concepts of literacy and authorship,
publishing in the information society, wikis in general and wikis in school,
about the relation between local language and English as lingua franca,
creative commons and copyright licenses, »wisdom of the crowd«, open
acces, reviewing models, data privacy, checking credibility of publications
(mastering genres and citation styles, avoiding misunderstanding in the
communication in the discipline, plagiarism, citation industry etc.). It is
not about how to write an academic assignment but how to participate at
building the ifrastructure in the discipline with writing articles for
Wikipedia, putting classics on Wikisource, manage seminar activity at
Wikiversity.There are examples how to write and how to cite the encyclopedic
entries, how to find and quote digitized resources, internet born resources,
bibliographies, map layers, articles and monographs. There is a chapter on
the use of social networks in academe, a chapter on style (how to shorten
titels, segment the text, summarize it, how to link, avoid activism,
manierism and hermetic expression, be concise and neutral, how to present
the scholarship orally, how to make presentation attractive using
infographic). One chapter is about how the information is organized in the
discipline and how to search and find it, that is about the list vs. story
concept. The last chapter summarizes what it has been written about Digital
humanities on this site, and enumerates some empirical achievements in the
Slovene literary scholarship.

Instead of composing the book on my computer, I have chosen to write it
directly onto the web, starting Nov. 2, 2012. It is not finished yet (if
such enterprises could ever be considered finished), however, it is ready to
go public and I am ready to accept the comments by the colleagues and their
direct interventions in the text, be it in the form of corrections of typos
and facts, and also as a collaborative complementation of stub chapters. I
am sad (like Domenico Fiormonte --
http://lists.digitalhumanities.org/pipermail/humanist/2013-January/010599.html)
about the fact that the books can expect just the echo within the language
they are written in. I have to admit I was ignorant, too, not using much
resources elswhere as in Slovene and in easy to get English, which is
discriminatory and should be avoided in future. Maybe some of you will be
curious enough to peep into the book (Google Chrome translates it in English
in seconds), maybe find your names cited somewhere and contribute a valuable
remark.

-- miran