[Humanist] 28.229 fewer students interested in literature and culture

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 25 17:21:46 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:38:13 -0400
        From: "totosy de zepetnek, steven" <clcweb at purdue.edu>
        Subject: totosy response to allington Re:  28.228 fewer students interested in literature and culture

greetings daniel! the claim that fewer and fewer students are interested in literature and culture has been made in several articles in the new york times and other places, e.g., the NYT article by tamar lewin, "interest fading in humanities, colleges worry" (31 october 2013 page 1&17) and the author is basing the claim on enrollment statistics at stanford and other ivy league universities; while this is re the situation in the US, in my own experience elsewhere (europe and asia) the claim rings true thus "world wide" although i do not have stats re enrollment re europe and asia
best, steven totosy