[Humanist] 28.210 the silent response to digital hubris

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 17:52:26 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:36:02 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>
        Subject: Re:  28.208 the silent response to digital hubris

Adam Crymble's thoughtful essay reminds me of Spitzweg's painting The
Bookworm (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Bücherwurm), which shows a
reader on a ladder in his library. The ladder helps you to get at the
book. Painting is also an art of ladders. You can think of the ladder as
"merely" a tool. And so it is, but without it ceilings and high walls are
left unpainted. Do ladders transform the art of painting? It depends on
how you look at it. Crymble has a good point when he urges proud DHers  to
practice humility (always good advice). Humanities scholars are more
likely to welcome digital tools as a versatile and skilled servant than as
a new master. There are a lot of paradoxes here, and it may be useful for
people to get off high horses of different kinds: the humanists off the
high hermeneutical horse with its disdain for the empirical, quantitative,
and anything that smacks of "lower" criticism, and the DHers off a
triumphalist and transformative rhetoric (of which a very little goes a
very long way).

Martin Mueller
Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University

On 7/17/14, 8:09, "Humanist Discussion Group"