[Humanist] 28.191 the indispensible become invisible

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 22:55:22 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 11:27:26 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: importance and reputation

The following is from R. I. G. Hughes, "The Ising model, computer
simulation, and universal physics", in Morgan and Morrison, Models as
mediators (1999):

> It is a curious fact that the index of The New Physics (Davies 1989),
> an anthology of eighteen substantial essays on recent developments in
> physics, contains only one entry on the topics of computers and
> computer simulation. Curious, because the computer is an
> indispensable tool in contemporary research. To different degrees,
> its advent has changed not just the way individual problems are
> addressed but also the sort of enterprise in which theorists engage,
> and hence the kind of theory that they propose.... In The New Physics
> the beautiful pictures of fractal structures that illustrate the
> essay on chaos theory...are, of course, computer generated.
> Yet, perhaps because it runs counter to the mythology of theoretical
> practice, that fact is mentioned neither in the captions that
> accompany the pictures nor elsewhere in the text. The indispensable
> has become invisible. (p. 97)

How do we go about changing the "mythology" (a.k.a. master narrative) of
the various scholarly disciplines for which computing has become
similarly indispensable?

Comments?