[Humanist] 28.176 DH2014 news: nascent history; electrical sockets

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 00:37:21 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Vika Zafrin <vzafrin at bu.edu>                              (39)
        Subject: Call for Participation @ DH 2014: nascent History of DH ADHO
                SIG

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (21)
        Subject: DH2014 news: electrical sockets

        Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:48:27 -0400
        From: Vika Zafrin <vzafrin at bu.edu>
        Subject: Call for Participation @ DH 2014: nascent History of DH ADHO SIG

Dear all,

In the last year, a few digital humanists (including Kevin Kee, Willard
McCarty, Julianne Nyhan, Geoffrey Rockwell, Edward Vanhoutte, and
myself) have been ramping up a conversation about digitizing and/or
archiving historical DH artifacts. Last week we emailed to ADHO a draft
of a SIG proposal. We received prompt and useful feedback (huge
thanks!), and are looking forward to fleshing out the proposal and
re-submitting it by the end of the summer.

The initial proposal talked about disciplinary self-reflection,
historicizing DH artifacts, pursuing multiple digitization projects, and
finding a permanent digital archive solution (an intermediary one is
available). The feedback we've gotten encourages us to expand our
thinking beyond specific projects, attract more people interested in
signing on, and pay particular attention to truly global representation.
We would very much like to move in these directions.

To this end, we would like to use next week's DH 2014 conference in
Lausanne to meet with some others who may be interested in participating
in a History of DH ADHO SIG, should it be approved to go forward. We
will meet informally on THURSDAY EVENING JULY 10TH, 7:30-9PM,
overlapping with that evening's reception and moving on from there. All
interested are warmly invited. If you have concerns about finding us,
please email me privately beforehand and we'll make sure to connect.

If you would like to participate in the SIG-to-hopefully-be but will not
be attending the conference or otherwise cannot make it, please email
me. Please include any thoughts you may have about what the group should
pursue, and we will bring them to the meeting. Following the Lausanne
meeting, we will likely set up an email- or web-based discussion list,
and expand from there.

We've made a few first steps, but there's a lot more to talk about, and
we hope you will join the conversation. Please bring this to the
attention of anyone you think may be interested. The more engaged
participants, the better off we are.

Sincerely,
-Vika

--