[Humanist] 27.377 events: well-being; network analytics for literary & artistic value

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Sep 25 05:51:20 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    kcl - cerch <cerch at kcl.ac.uk>                             (17)
        Subject: CeRch Seminar - October 1st

  [2]   From:    Charles Ess <charles.ess at gmail.com>                       (85)
        Subject: CFP - CEPE 2014 Well-Being, Flourishing, and ICTs

        Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 13:28:19 +0000
        From: kcl - cerch <cerch at kcl.ac.uk>

Please find below the details of next week's CeRch seminar: Network analytic approaches to the production and propagation of literary and artistic value (Daniel Allington)

Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 from 6:15 PM to 7:30 PM (GMT)
Anatomy Theatre and Museum, King's College London:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/cultural/atm/location.aspx

Attendance is free and open to all, but registration is requested:
<https://www.eventbrite.com/event/8348373209>
https://www.eventbrite.com/event/8348373209

The seminar will be followed by wine and nibbles.

All the best,
Valentina Asciutti

Abstract:

According to Bourdieu, the value of art, literature, etc is a form of belief that is produced within the cultural field and then propagated outwards into wider society through public-facing cultural institutions - as in the case of the 'writer's writer' who is initially read only by his or her peers, but who becomes 'consecrated' (i.e. canonised) thanks to peer esteem and eventually finds a mass readership through school or university syllabi. In this talk, I shall lay out two innovative methodologies for studying these processes through social network analysis. This is potentially controversial because of Bourdieu's much-discussed preference for Multiple Correspondence Analysis. However, I shall argue that, just as the abstract mathematical space of Multiple Correspondence Analysis forms a useful analogue for Bourdieu's conception of field, the no-less abstract structure of a directed graph forms a useful analogue for his understanding of the production of value within a field, and of its subsequent propagation beyond that field.

The first of the methodologies I shall present focuses on the production of value. It has already been trialled through a case study of interactive fiction, with results of this investigation to appear in my monograph, Literature in the Digital Economy (forthcoming from Palgrave, 2014), and elsewhere. As I will argue by reference to ongoing research, the same methodology can potentially yield important insights when applied to other cultural forms.

The second of these methodologies focuses on the propagation of value, and thus provides a possible approach to the study of the impact of the arts on wider society, as well as a bridge between the two major strands of research in the sociology of culture, i.e. study of cultural producers and study of cultural consumers. It builds on the first methodology but presents arguably greater difficulties with regard to data collection and the interpretation of findings. However, these difficulties are instructive because they raise deep questions about the use of social network analysis in cultural research, both in the humanities and in the social sciences.

Speaker's Bio:

Daniel Allington is a lecturer in the Open University Centre for Language and Communication. His first book, Communicating in English: Talk, Text, Technology (co-edited by Barbara Mayor) was published by Routledge in 2012. His first monograph, Literature in the Digital Economy, is forthcoming from Palgrave Macmillan in 2014. He researches the production, circulation, and recognition of value in a range of cultural practices, from literature and visual art to computer programming, focusing in particular on the construction and maintenance of hierarchies and inequalities, and on the quest for autonomy among cultural producers of all kinds. Daniel's website is at http:// http://www.danielallington.net