[Humanist] 27.345 doing something in an unfavourable world

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 16 07:20:53 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 21:12:02 +0200
        From: maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 27.336 on doing something in an unfavourable world

Il 13/09/2013 09:46, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
> Pascal Junod, "a bilingual blog about cryptography, information
> security, science, geekness and others", has published a letter of
> resignation from a doctoral student at the École Polytechnique Fédérale
> de Lausanne that, I think, is worth our attention. See
> http://crypto.junod.info/2013/09/09/an-aspiring-scientists-frustration-with-modern-day-academia-a-resignation/
>  for the full letter.

it's always risky to speak about the choices of another person. so what i
would like to say is about research in general, globally. the letter of the
anonymous is only a cue.

point 1: research is not easy.

point 2:research is a social affair; as every social affair you must
contract what you want with other people you have beside you. the society of
science, with all of its defects, is that who brought to you every tool,
every piece of knowledge, despite those defects we all know very well not
only in theory but by experience.

point 3: in research a person grows and growing mean that one becomes more
and more able, strong, knowldgeable. when you start you feel strong but you
aren't so strong, really.

facing all these situations (and others too) can lead to frustration, it's
true. but we are not babies ...frustrated by frustration: we are adults who
struggle with frustration to achieve what we want. every great scientist
could have said - more or less - of his time scientists the same things of
the anonymous. but they went on and gave us the fruits of heir struggles:
new theories, wider knowledge. others instead, despite their struggle,
failed and died without recognition of their value. but we now recognize
it.

research is a wild roguery, so be prepared to it.

best
maurizio

--
Camminare camminare scarpe rotte eppure andare
Camminare camminare non curarsi di inciampare
Con lo zaino o nudi nati gambe in spalla e poi sudare
Camminare camminare per la voglia di scoprire
turnèr mai indrèe!
(Modena City Ramblers, Camminare, 2011)
-------
il corso di informatica umanistica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85JsyJw2zuw
la biblioteca digitale del latino tardo: http://www.digiliblt.unipmn.it/
a day in the life of DH2013: http://dayofdh2013.matrix.msu.edu/digiliblt/
che cosa sono le digital humanities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JqLst_VKCA
-------
Maurizio Lana - ricercatore
Università del Piemonte Orientale, Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici
via Manzoni 8, 13100 Vercelli - tel. +39 347 7370925