[Humanist] 27.344 learning from the DHO

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 16 07:20:15 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (29)
        Subject: obsolescence?

  [2]   From:    David Zeitlyn <david.zeitlyn at anthro.ox.ac.uk>             (31)
        Subject: 27.341 what can we learn from the DHO's disappearance?

        Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:00:24 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

To Jacque Wernimont's question about planned obsolescence of a centre
for digital humanities, I'd suggest that whether designed to be
permanent (i.e. to last for a long time) or obsolescent, such a centre
should have reason behind it, and that this reason should be discussed.
If the former, then we put forth a continuing role, which for an
academic entity would suggest a discipline on equal footing with the
rest or an essential service that no one could ever perform on their own
or would want to. (This is to ignore the strong argument I would make
against the whole idea of a digital humanities service.) If the latter,
then a specific goal would seem to be in sight, like teaching a child
how to ride a bicycle. But in the case of computing, the bicycle is
always changing, and riding it always suggesting new designs that have
to be worked out. And I would wonder, what are the politics involved?
What are the motivations that are not being articulated? What are the
strategies designed for what ends?

As far as running out of money is concerned, how often is this a simple
affair, as when on a very strict household budget, down to whether to
heat or to eat, the pocket is empty? How often is it a matter of not
having money *for this sort of thing*? How often is it a statement, in
effect, that the centre has failed to persuade enough people that it is
worth supporting? And if that's the case, then we're back at the
question of why it failed.

Comments?