[Humanist] 27.341 what can we learn from the DHO's disappearance?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Sep 14 12:11:21 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 12:44:40 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: disappearance of the DHO

I'm almost certainly not the only one to wonder why it is that
institutional units of digital humanities have for decades failed to
last. Several greats of the past (e.g. Oxford, Bergen, Toronto,
Princeton-Rutgers) and many smaller, more local centres have come and
gone. Some of us have talked about organizing a session for one of the
DH conferences to unearth and discuss the reasons. Since these reasons
would involve living persons and academic politics the issues are
sensitive. But surely this should not put us off the trail of a rather
important question for the survival of new centres today.

Alan Liu has asked, "Where is the cultural criticism in digital humanities?"
Perhaps some variety of cultural criticism should be applied to the
question of the DHO. What can we learn from its disappearance?