[Humanist] 27.338 events: sustainability for historians; memory; methods & communication; CS and the humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Sep 13 09:55:28 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Adam Crymble <adam.crymble at gmail.com>                     (68)
        Subject: cfp: sustainability for history

  [2]   From:    "Catherine O'Brien" <catherine.obrien at tcd.ie>             (93)
        Subject: Downstream from the Digital Humanities: Digital Methods and
                the Scholarly Communications Ecosystem, A NeDimah Working
                Paper Meeting

  [3]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (35)
        Subject: Cheltenham Festival: on memory

  [4]   From:    "Jaskot, Paul" <PJASKOT at depaul.edu>                       (17)
        Subject: Call for Papers: 8th Annual Chicago DH Conference (deadline
                extended)

        Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 08:21:40 +0100
        From: Adam Crymble <adam.crymble at gmail.com>

Applications open for Five Solutions: Digital Sustainability for Historians
Five Solutions to What?

 Historical scholarship is increasingly digital; and yet we do not have an
agreed form of best practices for ensuring that digital scholarship
lasts. *Five Solutions* is looking for five scholars able to outline a solution to the
issues of sustainability now facing historians. This one day workshop asks
participants to give a 15  http://www.blogger.com/null minute presentation
outlining practical solutions to one of five challenges, with the resources
and expertise of an ordinary working historian in mind.  These
presentations will form the basis for a one day workshop on practical
strategies for digital sustainability.  The presentations can be based on
your own experience and ideas, or can be taken on as a research project. We
will work with all participants to ensure that the final presentations are
both technically workable and illustrated with the most appropriate
datasets.

 Accepted participants will each receive a *£350 honorarium.**

 The Five Themes

 The following five themes are designed to get you started, but if you have
other ideas, we’d love to hear about it. Each theme should be approached
with the ordinary working historian in mind.

 1.     Preserving research data for the future
 2.     Curating an enduring professional online persona
 3.     Paying project costs after the money runs out
 4.     Capturing and documenting the expertise of temporary staff
 5.     Strategies for working together on larger projects

 Who Should Apply?

 We’re looking for people with passion. Scholars old or young, university
students of any level, librarians, archivists, developers, designers,
system administrators, or anyone who considers themselves a historian at
heart. No specific qualifications or prior experience required - just an
interest in helping academia find solutions to organizational and
technological challenges facing the sustainability of our digital projects.

 What do I have to do?

 Figure out a solution, of course! Once you’ve come up with your solution,
you’ll share your work in two ways:

 1.     A 15-minute presentation of your solution at a one-day conference
in London, UK on the *28th of November 2013 *at the Institute of Historical
Research.

 2.     A 1500-2000 word peer-reviewed tutorial outlining your solution to
be published in the *spring of 2014* in the *Programming Historian 2 *and
distributed as part of ‘IHR Digital’.

 All tutorials will be peer-reviewed and released under a Creative Commons
CC-BY license. Participants will have the full support of an editor at
the *Programming
Historian 2* who will provide guidance for writing an effective, practical
tutorial.

 Evidence of previous work with technical writing or a willingness to
learn, as well as a strong command of the English language are a bonus.

 How do I apply?

 By *8 October 2013* send a two-page C.V. and a brief email to
adam.crymble at kcl.ac.uk (subject line: Five Solutions) addressing the
following questions:

 1.     What theme would you like to tackle? (Use one of our suggestions or
come up with your own.)
 2.     Give us an idea of how you plan to solve this issue, or where you
intend to look for a solution (max 200 words)
 3.     What skills or experiences make you the ideal person for the task?

 We apologize in advance, but we are limited to five scholars.

 * Our funding restrictions allow honorariums for UK-based participants
only, though we are happy to receive applications from those abroad who
have access to their own travel funding and who would like to participate.

*Supported by:*

* The Software Sustainability Institute
* AHRC Theme Leader Fellowship for its Digital Transformations Theme
* The Institute of Historical Research
* The Programming Historian

Adam Crymble
adam.crymble at kcl.ac.uk