[Humanist] 27.308 historical documents on project management

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 2 07:44:00 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>          (122)
        Subject: Re:  27.307 historical documents on project management

  [2]   From:    James Smithies <james.smithies at canterbury.ac.nz>           (7)
        Subject: RE:  27.304 historical documents on project management?

  [3]   From:    Alberto Santiago Martinez <asmartinez at colmex.mx>         (111)

        Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 17:04:04 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>

Perhaps Fawlty Towers should have a place in the bibliography of how (not)
to manage projects.

        Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 23:33:34 +0000
        From: James Smithies <james.smithies at canterbury.ac.nz>

http://agilemanifesto.org/ is an important document.

W. Edwards Deming's Out of the Crisis (1986) springs to mind, for its impact on contemporary (and perhaps especially neo-liberal) management generally, and various lean production methods imported into software development (including Agile). It isn't focused on project management per se, but provides important context.

I could add that the tension between management methods like Deming's, which are tightly connected to the neoliberal economic model, and more 'democratic' models like Agile offer a world of interpretative opportunities. Questions like 'What implications are there in using management methods derived from Deming in an academic context?' and 'What project management methods are most appropriate to DH and why?' spring to mind, as does Alan Liu's The Laws of Cool.

- James