[Humanist] 26.366 job at Victoria
Humanist Discussion Group
willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 11 06:58:43 CEST 2012
Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 26, No. 366.
Department of Digital Humanities, King's College London
Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:09:17 -0700
From: etcl <etcl at uvic.ca>
Subject: Programmer Needed
The Electronic Textual Cultures Lab at the University of Victoria is looking for a full-time (35 hours per week) programmer to assist in the development of Web tools for humanities-related research, as well as to work in and around social media and digital scholarly editions.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelors degree in computer science or equivalent experience, and demonstrated experience in the following tools and technologies:
• Content management systems or similar, including WordPress
• Relational databases, including design, ideally in the context of literary analysis
• Object-oriented coding (at least 2 years experience), ideally in the context of visualizations of Humanities documents or social networks
Experience in some or all of the following technologies is desirable but not required:
• Ruby on Rails
• XML/XSLT/HTML and W3C Standards
The ability and desire to learn technologies on this list that the candidate lacks is an asset.
Duties for this position will include the following:
• Developing and implementing object-oriented designs
• Designing database schemas
• Writing documentation
• Holding constructive discussion with other team members
• Deploying web applications
• Open-source software research
• Maintaining web applications
• Requirement elicitation
The ETCL is a leading-edge research lab, working on a variety of exciting projects. Self-motivated personalities are essential. Individual development and new ideas are encouraged. Read more about us at <http://etcl.uvic.ca >.
Salary for this position is competitive in the academic market and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The contract is for a five-month term, from November 1 2012 until March 31 2013.
Applications, comprising a brief cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information for three referees, may be sent electronically to <etcl at uvic.ca >. Applications will be received and reviewed until the position is filled.
More information about the Humanist