[Humanist] 24.736 biographical memoirs

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Feb 23 07:35:34 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:54:21 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: biographical memoirs of U.S. scientists

Forgive me if I've previously mentioned "Biographical Memoirs", an
online series published by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences since
1877 -- but now available as pdfs, all 1400 of them. These are "brief
biographies of deceased National Academy of Sciences members, written by
those who knew them or their work.  These biographies provide a personal
and scholarly view of the lives and work of America's most distinguished
scientists and a biographical history of science in the United States."

See http://www.nasonline.org/site/PageServer?pagename=MEMOIRS_W. Note,
for example, the biography of Margaret Mead by Clifford Geertz.

King's College London, www.mccarty.org.uk;