[Humanist] 24.734 theorizing the Web

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Feb 23 07:33:14 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (29)
        Subject: not stupid these days

  [2]   From:    "Postles, David A. (Dr.)" <pot at leicester.ac.uk>            (1)
        Subject: 24.730 theorizing the Web

        Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 06:55:03 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

In her defense of Danah Boyd's decision to seek employment at Microsoft,
Amanda French commented that,

> ... choosing private industry over academia is hardly a stupid
> decision these days, and I have little doubt that Microsoft gives her
> at least as much research freedom as academia would.

There are more than a few occasions these days on which I am glad to be
on the far side of a professional career in the academy. I'm not
Spenglerian (Der Untergang des Abendlandes) in temperament, not at all,
rather the opposite. But it does seem to me as if the academy's
directors have rather lost the plot. Nevertheless, a reality-check: is
this a hell-in-a-handbasket vision of someone keenly aware that he is
inevitably going there in one? And is it utterly naive to think that someone
might take shelter in a corner of the Evil Empire in order better
to pursue scholarly interests?

Of course the majuscules are a marker of irony. We do indeed live in a
glass house, Spenglerian or otherwise. And, for the record, please note
that Microsoft has in the opinion of some been displaced in the
blacklist by Google. For the curious: google (of course) for "google
evil empire".

Comments? Any extra-mural reports?

King's College London, www.mccarty.org.uk;