[Humanist] 24.728 theorizing the Web

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Feb 21 08:41:33 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Richard Frank" <richard.frank at utoronto.ca>               (23)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.726 theorizing the Web?

  [2]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                       (4)

        Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:31:56 -0500
        From: "Richard Frank" <richard.frank at utoronto.ca>

Dr Postles, I presume the joke you refer to is dana boyd as keynote speaker
while working for Microsoft. While I don't know her personally, I do know of
her by reputation and have read a number of her articles. She has a lengthy
history in the field of online personas and I think quite appropriate for
such a conference.

I was not aware that she currently worked for Microsoft but I know plenty of
people working for corporations I don't really like. We all have to eat, pay
bills, etc. And, while I'm not an apologist for Microsoft, I think can
safely assume that they long ago recanted positions like the web is useless
& 64K memory is enough for anyone :-)

These days Google's apparent abandonment of doing no evil bothers me more
than Microsoft's anticompetitive behaviour in the early days of desktop
computing. I'm not fond of the practices of Oracle or Apple either. I don't
think it's an accident that the "nice" guys don't become the dominant
industry players but rather it is the ruthless ones that do.

But back to the conference, I think it sounds rather interesting and was
thinking of attending.

Cheers