[Humanist] 24.719 images of computing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Feb 18 07:18:38 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:48:48 -0800
        From: Russell Horton <russ at artfl.uchicago.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.718 images of computing?

[from a private note --WM]

Your query regarding computer-related imagery reminded me of a presentation I saw recently at THATCamp San Francisco. Megan Prelinger gave a slide show of 50s and 60s advertisements from chemical and aerospace companies. Computers and robots figured in some of these images as well. Evidently the fashion was to hire modern artists to create all sorts of publicity, from magazine covers to humble help wanted ads. The work is really quite amazing.

So although it's not exactly what you are after, I think it might interest you. They certainly have that wondering, imaginative quality you describe.

http://www.blastbooks.com/another_science_fiction.htm

Thanks again for the list, and have a great winter.

Russell Horton

--
Graduate Student, Linguistics, The University of California San Diego
Computational Linguist, Wordnik.com