[Humanist] 24.700 published definitions

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Feb 9 09:35:05 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:53:52 +0100
        From: Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz at unil.ch>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.697 published definitions

Thank you to Geoffrey for this link!

As a team of five scholars (Modern History, New Testament, French
Literature and New Technologies) in Switzerland, we have tried to define
the DH in an “Edito” on this link:

http://www3.unil.ch/wpmu/digitalera2011/humanites-digitalesunil-meetings/?lang=en

Three main points:

1) We think that the “digital Age” is not only a new period, but
also a new Era, the next one.

2) We have chosen to speak in French about “Humanités digitales”,
and not “Humanités numériques”, to get the same vocabulary of
reference than in English, and to keep the idea of the “fingers”
(“digitales”) rather than of the numbers (“numériques”). The
DH are at the same time a practice and a problematic.

3) The choir of our definition is the following one (with my apologizes
for any English mistake):

“The digital era is being born from the change of the support itself
in the Human Sciences thought, with the transformation of our
relationship to textuality. This digital turn happens in the context of
a crisis in the Human sciences, first a financial crises, but also an
institutional and politic one, even if it is softer in Switzerland. In
this context, the “Humanités digitales” -- a label diversely
interpreted -- offer the opportunity to think again our ways of
building and transmitting knowledge. The DH are at the same time a
practice and a problematic. They include not only the sum total of the
digital technologies applied to the Human sciences, but eminently the
questioning on the modifications provoked by these technologies, from
the point of view of the training et of the knowledge transmission in
the Human sciences”.

“L’ère digitale naît de la remise en question du support même
de la pensée des sciences humaines, via la transformation de nos
rapports à la textualité. Ce virage numérique se prend sur fond de
crise des sciences humaines, une crise financière d’abord, mais de
politique institutionnelle aussi, quand bien même la Suisse la perçoit
 de manière plus feutrée. Dans ce contexte, les humanités
digitales, un label revendiqué de diverses manières, offrent
l’occation de repenser nos manières de constituer les connaissances
et de les transmettre. Elles se présentent à la fois comme pratique
et comme problématique. Elles recouvrent non seulement l’ensemble
des techniques numériques appliquées aux sciences humaines, mais
surtout le questionnement sur les modifications que ces techniques
génèrent du point de vue de la formation et de la transmission de la
connaissance en sciences humaines”.

We will have a debate at our University -EPFL in Lausanne (CH) on the
4th April on the topic (same web link).

Yours,

Claire Clivaz with Christian Grosse, Frédéric Kaplan, Jérôme
Meizoz, François Vallotton