[Humanist] 24.686 content management systems

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Feb 4 07:25:15 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:21:23 +1100
        From: Akesha <hortonak at msu.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.680 content management systems?

While I think Contribute is a great product, if having to choose, one
at this moment I would pick a CMS over Contribute. The main advantage
of a CMS over Contribute (in my opinion) is that Contribute is not web
based, whereas a CMS is.  This means a licensed version of Contribute
will have to be installed on each computer that is being used for site
updates, and all of the workstations that are being used for web
maintenance must be physically accessed when a group or department
decides they want to update their Contribute software. A server-side
CMS requires one update to the software running on the server.

Additionally, because Contribute is not open source, there are limits
to what you can do with Contribute.
There are a lot more open-source plugins that an open source CMS will
offer more simply than Contribute cannot. I have found the online
discussion board support for open source products such as Joomla and
Drupal very strong and capable.  However, I have (thus far), never had
an extremely specialized dilemma with one of these packages that
hadn't already been addressed in a forum.  Hope this helps.

I have also worked with http://www.allinta.com/ (which is not open
source) without any problems.  I hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,
Akesha Horton

Visiting Scholar,
University of Technology, Sydney

Doctoral Candidate
Curriculum, Teaching and Educational Policy
Michigan State University

change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has..." -
Margaret Mead

follow me at http://twitter.com/akesha