[Humanist] 25.247 events: Dublin Core at The Hague

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Aug 26 07:49:38 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:15:01 +0200
        From: Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>
        Subject: DC2011 - Tutorials

DUBLIN CORE TUTORIALS at the Hague

DC-2011 Pre-conference Tutorials
TUTORIAL ABSTRACTS:
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/tutorial
s-2011#taylor
DATE: 21 September 2011
TIME: 9:00 - 17:00
PLACE: National Library of the Netherlands, The Hague
REGISTRATION:
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/registra
tion-2011
   [Registration is available for this special day-long session only or
for the full conference]

We are writing to invite you to participate in Dublin Core tutorials
planned for DC-2011 at The Hague. The pre-conference tutorials are
intended as a forum for managers of structured data vocabularies as well
as researches and practitioners working on metadata management and
controlled vocabularies. The following four tutorials are programmed:

Tutorial Title: An Introduction to Dublin Core
Presenter: Stephanie Taylor
Abstract: This tutorial will provide a basic introduction to the Dublin
Core (DC) metadata set, starting with a brief overview of how and why DC
began and how it has developed to the present day. Simple DC and
Qualified DC will be explained, with practical examples of real-life
usage to illustrate the application of DC in different working
environments. The tutorial will have a 'hands on' approach, giving
participants an opportunity to explore the elements through group work
and to use both Simple and Qualified DC to describe objects.

Tutorial Title: Even More Dublin Core
Presenter: Emma Tonkin
Abstract: Dublin Core, like many things in life, is many things to many
people. This tutorial starts by taking a quick tour through the
conceptual landscape of the DCMI. We then move on to practical
exploration, demonstrating the role of Dublin Core as a helpful Swiss
Army knife in a well-stocked metadata toolbox. Using the vocabularies,
schemas, concepts and processes behind Dublin Core97such as the
Singapore Framework, we work through practical examples of: describing a
set of resources; developing an application profile for a given purpose;
building metadata records on the basis of a newly constructed
application profile; and marking up web-based data with microformats.
Finally, the tutorial takes a look at how Dublin Core fits in with the
world of Linked Data.

Tutorial Title: SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System)
Presenter: Antoine Isaac
Abstract: SKOS is a data model to represent and network knowledge
organization systems (thesauri, classification systems, etc) in RDF.
SKOS is meant to be as easy of use as possible, fitting existing
practices while keeping general enough to fit a high number of use cases
and KOS configurations. In this tutorial, an introduction to the various
features of SKOS will be given, illustrating how they can be used to
represent existing KOS data. The tutorial will present how the vision of
leveraging existing KOS on the web of data is being adopted in a number
of projects, in the Cultural Heritage sector and beyond. Available
tooling and methods for creating and publishing SKOS as well as porting
legacy KOS data to SKOS will also be discussed.

Tutorial Title: From Dublin Core to Linked Data"
Presenter: Paul Hermans
Abstract: In this tutorial we will learn in a concrete way how to
migrate an XML/HTML encoded Dublin Core metadata application to a linked
data version hereof. We cover all the needed steps to:
define the identifiers (URI's) of the resources choose the right models,
vocabularies generate links to different datasets convert to the needed
representations (RDF/XML, turtle, HTML) and publish the data as
dereferenceable linked data. We will also address also some FAQ's:
reusing vocabularies or building your own, SKOS (concepts) or OWL
(classes), how to model temporal constraints, how to apply closed world
constraints. In closing, we give an overview of the tools and
technologies which can be used.

If travel is not an option for any of you, remote participation may be
possible through IRC. Please note that early-bird registration ends on 5
September.

We very much hope some or all of you may be able to attend what we
expect to be a very useful event.

Cordially,

Muriel Foulonneau, Henri Tudor Research Centre
Stuart Sutton, University of Washington
Seth van Hooland, Université Libre de Bruxelles