[Humanist] 25.225 events: digital diasporas

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 9 22:49:00 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 18:55:47 +0100
        From: "Bodard, Gabriel" <gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Seminar: Digital diasporas: remaking cultural heritagein cyberspace

Digital Classicist & Institute of Classical Studies Seminar 2011

Friday August 12th at 16:30
Room 37, Senate House, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HU

Valentina Asciutti & Stuart Dunn (KCL)
Digital diasporas: remaking cultural heritage in cyberspace

ALL WELCOME

Throughout history, artefacts have been removed from their original
location by a series of processes, leaving a fragmented picture of the
material past. Geospatial and visualization technologies give us the
opportunity to visualize and conceptualize the histories of such
dispersed heritage, recording findspot, current location and physical
and interpretive stages that went between. Using examples including
Romano-British verse inscriptions and geographic data gathered on
Hadrian’s Wall, we will show a database of different types of cultural
heritage objects with multiple location fields. Using a combination of
quantitative GIS and KML-based views of the data, we will illustrate how
the history of artefacts can be traced through both time and location.

The seminar will be followed by wine and refreshments.

For more information please contact Gabriel.Bodard at kcl.ac.uk,
Stuart.Dunn at kcl.ac.uk, S.Mahony at ucl.ac.uk, or see the seminar website at
http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/wip2011.html

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL