[Humanist] 25.224 digital curation? freedom?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 9 22:47:51 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Shawn Day <day.shawn at GMAIL.COM>                           (44)
        Subject: Reminder and deadline extension: Digital Curation Survey

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (19)
        Subject: freedom?

        Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:02:55 +0100
        From: Shawn Day <day.shawn at GMAIL.COM>

Dear Colleagues,

In July we invited the community to take part in a survey on training needs of staff in the field of digital preservation and digital curation within Europe and internationally. The survey is carried out by Goettingen State and University Library, Germany, on behalf of “Digital Curator Vocational Education Europe” (DigCurV). We would like to thank the many respondents who have complied with our request so far. To give all interested parties the opportunity to participate, we have extended the deadline until 26th August.

DigCurV is a project funded by the European Commission’s Leonardo da Vinci programme and brings together organisations from Europe, Canada and the USA. Ireland is linked to the project through the participation of Trinity College Dublin.

DigCurV (www.digcur-education.org) aims to address the availability of vocational training and education in digital preservation and curation by developing a curriculum and an international framework for training, as a response to the growing demand for staff with the skills and competences needed for the long-term management of digital collections in cultural institutions. We are currently carrying out research to survey and analyse both the existing training opportunities and training needs in the sector to inform the development of the curriculum.

We are inviting managers, curators and experts in digital preservation to take part in this survey of training needs. Your input will really help inform the curriculum framework and we greatly appreciate your time in assisting with this research.

The survey is online at http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/544426/DigCurV-Survey-on-Training-Needs and will take you about 15 minutes to complete.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Yours sincerely,

Claudia Engelhardt and
Stefan Strathmann

If you have any questions about the survey, please contact:

Claudia Engelhardt or Stefan Strathmann
Research and Development Department (RDD)
Goettingen State and University Library
Georg August Universitaet Goettingen
Germany

claudia.engelhardt at sub.uni-goettingen.de or
strathmann at sub.uni-goettingen.de

If you have questions about the project, please contact:

Katie McCadden
Research Assistant
Long Room Hub
Trinity College Dublin
Phone: +353 01 896 4470
E-mail: katietmccadden at gmail.com

The DigCurV training needs survey is anonymous. Respondents will not be identified in the results, which will only used for the purpose of the survey or future research on digital preservation-training related topics; it will be treated as confidential according to the German Federal Data Protection Act (Bundesdatenschutzgesetz/BDSG).