[Humanist] 25.216 subtle and not so subtle changes

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Aug 5 23:41:56 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:06:44 +0100
        From: Leif Isaksen <leifuss at googlemail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.211 subtle and not so subtle changes

Dear Marjorie

thanks for such a great response to what was on my part probably a
rather ill-mannered tirade (and not the only one I wrote that day
either. Must have been the weather :-S). Suffice to say I'm fully in
agreement with you - I'm certainly convinced that the way we memorize
things is changing and I feel it as much in myself as in observations
of others. I also agree that this is something worthy of reflection
on.

FWIW the most interesting thing I've read on the topic lately is the
work of Betsy Sparrow, recently published in Science, on Transactive
Memory. I must confess to not having read the full article yet, just
other people's synopses, of which this seems to be a good one:

http://www.contemplativecomputing.org/2011/07/internet-use-and-transactive-memory.html

The basic observation is that human memory seems designed to optimise
over information overload by storing memories of where to
access/obtain information rather than the information itself. The
pre-digital example they give is of delegating memory to one's partner
(asking one's husband about baseball for example [real example given.
Not mine!]). This seems intuitively correct to me although it seems
they now have the stats to back it up. The really interesting thing to
me, however, is that this is an optimisation problem and only
determined through some kind of subconcious inductive process. As just
one example - I always to forget to check the code I need to pick up
prereserved tickets at the train station because I know it's in my
email on my phone. But my phone always takes 5 mins to reconnect to
the web when I get out of the metro and I'm always arriving about 5.5
minutes before the train leaves. You'd think I'd learn but somehow I
don't :-S The other cautionary tale is that it took me 15 mins to
remember where I'd read the article cited above (searching via Google
of course and thinking it was 'Transactional Memory' which is
something entirely different).

One last thought before I desist in taking up too many Humanist column
inches: I also feel that the Humanities has a special angle on this
one because, in trying to discover what it is to be Human (which is
what I believe our ultimate, and ultimately futile, task to be), the
questions we ask (and the way we approach them) are at least as
interesting as any answers we may come up with. Consequentially, these
subtle shifts in our very mental fabric are neither welcome nor
unwelcome so much as a fascinating new facet for our discipline to
explore.

OK, enough from me. Thanks again for your thoughtful (and and entirely
un-grumpy) response

Best wishes

Leif

PS This might also be of interest for those with the time to follow:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/blog/2011/aug/03/academic-research-digital-online-technology