[Humanist] 24.439 researcher = programmer?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 28 07:43:55 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:15:21 +0200
        From: Øyvind Eide <oyvind.eide at iln.uio.no>
        Subject: Do you need to be a programmer to be a researcher?

Dear all,

On several occasions the question whether a researcher in the
humanities, e.g., a historian, needs to be a programmer has been
discussed. Does anyone know or have any idea when this first came up?
I have a secondary reference to 1969 ("in 1969, the French historian
Le Roy Ladurie said that the future historian had to be a programmer")
but my source to this (Thorvaldsen, G.: Databehandling for
historikere. Oslo, 1999) do not include the reference in its
bibliography.

So I have two questions:

* Can anyone confirm that Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie wrote this, and give
a full citation?

* Do anyone know of any earlier discussions?

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide
Unit for Digital Documentation, University of Oslo