[Humanist] 24.418 online sharing of learning resources?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 20 18:31:25 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:10:27 +0200
        From: Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>
        Subject: sharing learning resources

Dear all,

I am in the midst of preparing a course on information modeling/ structuring
("Modélisation numérique" is the title of the course in French), which I
am teaching in the context of a two-year master in Information Science
("Master en Sciences et Technologies de l'Information et de la
Communication") at the ULB in Brussels. I have been trying to find a
suitable project that would allow my students to have some hands-on
experience with XML (which would ideally take them two times three hours,
and some extra preparation at home). As a first small exercise I was
thinking to use this tutorial on the manual creation of RSS feeds
(http://www.xul.fr/en-xml-rss.html). Then there is the book "Using XML"
(2004) by Bor Ng and the website
http://infomotions.com/musings/xml-in-libraries/, which propose small
projects and exercises on the conversion of MARC files to XML for example,
but I was wondering whether some of you could point out to other resources
for this type of hands-on projects for students in Information Science,
which in the case of my department almost exclusively have a bachelor (and
interests) in the humanities.

This issue leads me to a more general question/concern: are there any
websites which gather learning plans, hands-on projects and educational
scenarios specifically for the domain of Information Science and Digital
Humanities, which would allow us to share and re- use these very
time-intensive resources to create? In December-January I will prepare a
learning scenario for the development of a prototype in the context of my
course on document and metadata management ("Automatique documentaire"),
based on the open-source collection management system CollectiveAccess
(www.collectiveaccess.org) which will mainly focus on the design and the
implementation of a metadata schema and the creation of a thesaurus, and I
would be more then happy to share this work with other people, in order to
get feedback and additional input.

The necessity (but also the pleasure) of combining theory and practice
within our teaching activities in Information Science and Digital
Humanities, coupled with the ever-evolving nature of technologies and the
financial restraints (and thus increasing workload) we are currently facing,
makes a strong case to look for synergies and collaboration. Towards the end
of this academic year, I would like to organize a seminar/workshop (in the
context of an existing conference) on the sharing of educational resources
in our domain. Don't hesitate to contact me off-list if you would be
interested in collaborating on this.

Kind regards,

Seth van HoolandDigital Information Chair - ULB
Département de l'Information et de la Communication  | Université
Libre de Bruxelles
Av. F.D. Roosevelt, 50 CP 123  | 1050 Bruxelles
http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/
+32-2-6504765